Categories: Black tea, Fair Trade tea, Green tea, Oolong tea, Organic tea, Pu-erh tea, Tisanes, White tea
Tags: Art of Tea, buying tea online, Numi Organic Tea, Rishi Tea, The Tea Spot
Post date: December 10, 2009
Comments: 5 comments
Fair trade is a tricky thing. I’ve written before about why I believe fair trade is important, but there’s a flipside: too often, fair trade tea is of lower quality to similarly-priced, non-fair trade tea. Which leaves a tea lover to decide between sacrificing quality or sacrificing an ethical stance.
Over the past year I have bought primarily non-fair trade tea, for one big reason: there are very few fair trade tea options around here in Melbourne, and the ones that I can find tend to be in teabag form. But one goal I’ve set for myself over the next few months is to explore some of the fair trade tea options available online. Here are four online tea stores that sell fair trade tea.
1. The Tea Spot
The Tea Spot have four fair trade organic teas:
- Organic Blue Mountain Nilgiri ? Single-estate black tea from India’s Nilgiri tea region.
- Organic Green Twisted Spears ? Hand-twisted spears from Sri Lanka.
- Organic Monkey-Picked White ? A buttery white tea from Fujian Province, China.
- Organic New Moon Darjeeling ? Autumnal Darjeeling tea. It’s single-estate, but they don’t specify which estate.
You can also get The Tea Spot’s Black Label Organic Teas set, which includes all four of the teas above and ends up saving you about 20%.
2. Numi Organic Tea
Numi Organic Tea have quite an extensive range of fair trade teas, most of which are organic as well:
- White Rose – Velvet Garden ? A white tea combined with rose petals. Also available as tea bags.
- White Nectar – Osmanthus Spring ? Organic white tea with Osmanthus flower. Also available as tea bags.
- White Orange Spice – Moonlight Spice ? White tea mixed with orange, berries, lime and spices. Also available as tea bags.
- Ginger Sun – Lemon Decaf Green ? Himalayan grown green tea combined with lemongrass and ginger. Also available as tea bags
- Jasmine Green Tea – Monkey King ? Jasmine tea from Jiangxi Province in China. Also available as tea bags
- Mate Lemon Green Tea – Rainforest Green ? Yerba Maté blended with lemon myrtle and chun mee green tea. Also available as tea bags
- Decaf Black Vanilla – Indian Night ? Organic black tea blended with vanilla. Also available as tea bags
- Breakfast Blend – Morning Rise ? A breakfast tea blended from Ceylon, Assam, Keemun and Darjeeling teas. Also available as tea bags
- Aged Earl Grey – Bergamot Black ? Full-leaf Assam tea blended with natural Italian Bergamot, not oils or flavorings. Also available as tea bags
- Berry Black – Raspberry Darjeeling Black Tea ? North American forest fruits blended with Darjeeling tea. Also available as tea bags
- Golden Chai – Spiced Assam Black Tea ? Numi’s chai tea. Also available as tea bags
- Lapsang Souchong – Smoky Tarry ? From the Wuyi Mountains in China comes Numi’s Lapsang Souchong.
- Chamomile Lemon – Sweet Meadows ? Egyptian chamomile tea blended with Australian lemon myrtle.
- Ruby Chai – Spiced Rooibos is a rooibos chai blend. Also available as ]tea bags.
3. Art of Tea
Art of Tea have a small selection of fair trade teas, all three of which can be bought together in their Fair Trade Tea Gift Set, which includes:
- Biodynamic Darjeeling ? Black tea from the Makaibari Estate.
- Egyptian Chamomile ? Chamomile tea from Egypt.
- Gunpowder ? Gunpowder green tea from Zhejiang Province, in northern China.
4. Rishi Tea
Rishi Tea have made a name for themselves with quite a huge range of fair trade teas. You can see all their fair trade teas listed here. Also be sure to check out their store on Amazon , which has some great discounts.